Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
For the soup:
1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into chunks (approx 3 lb flesh). Keep hold of the seeds!
1 bulb garlic
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ¼ pint stock (vegetable, or chicken, it’s your choice)
Salt and pepper
For the gluten free croutons:
3 slices Genius Feel Good White Farmhouse
Garlic salt or granules
Sunflower or light extra virgin olive oil
1. To prepare the soup, set your oven to 400 F and roast the butternut chunks along with the whole bulb of garlic for approx. 1 hour. This really concentrates the fantastic flavors and gives you beautiful roast garlic cloves to add to your soup.
2. Once the butternut squash has roasted and is just starting to frazzle at the edges take it out of the oven and tip it into a large saucepan. Add the celery, onion, stock, salt and pepper and the roasted garlic cloves (squeezed out of their skins). Not only will the garlic add immense flavor, it has great gut health benefits!
3. Bring this fiber loaded mixture to the boil and simmer for half an hour. Blitz with a hand blender until the soup is smooth. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
4. For the croutons cut the gluten free bread into cubes approx. 1cm. Toss these in the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet along with garlic, salt and chili flakes until they are golden brown.
5. You can also add the butternut squash seeds that you set aside. These seeds are crammed with high fiber goodness! Remove from heat and drain on absorbent paper towel so they are not too greasy.
6. To serve, bring the soup up to temperature, ladle into bowls and place a few gluten free croutons and seeds on top. To achieve full chef status, add a swirl of chili oil, or a dollop of crème fraiche/Greek yogurt!