Serves: 5 slices of bread makes 10 baskets
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
FOR TOAST BASKETS:
5 slices Genius Feel-Good White Farmhouse bread
Melted butter, or extra virgin olive oil
FOR CHIPOTLE CHICKEN AND AVOCADO SALSA FILLING:
1 skinned chicken breast
¼ teaspoon Chipotle chilli flakes
1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon sweet corn
½ a ripe mango flesh, finely diced
1 ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and mashed
1 garlic clove, peeled and pureed
1 large tomato, quartered, deseeded and finely diced
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
FOR SALMON AND QUAILS EGG FILLING:
3.5oz poached salmon, broken into flakes
10 cooked quails eggs, shelled and halved lengthways
2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise mixed with half tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
20 small sprigs of fresh dill for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
FOR SERRANO HAM AND GOATS CHEESE FILLING:
2 medium beet, peeled and finely diced
½ onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
½ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup red wine vinegar
5oz granulated sugar
2 whole cloves
Pinch sea salt
3-4 grinds of freshly ground black pepper
To make the tasty toast baskets:
1. Preheat the oven to 350’F.
2. Remove the crusts of the bread (you can save these to make gorgeous gluten free breadcrumbs) and roll each slice to the thickness of roughly 3mm with a rolling pin.
3. Cut out 2 rounds of bread from each slice. If you have a cookie cutter then this may be helpful!
4. Brush both sides of the cut out bread with butter, dairy free butter works too or extra virgin olive oil and press into mini patty tins. Press another empty patty tin on top and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown and deliciously crisp.
Chipotle Chicken & avocado salsa filling:
1. To prepare the chicken breast, first mix the chipotle chilli flakes, smoked paprika, olive oil and seasoning together in a small shallow oven proof dish. Coat the chicken breast in the gut lovin’ spiced oil, and cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400’F.
3. To prepare the salsa, mix all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. This fruity mix is wonderfully full of fiber!
4. Bake the chicken breast for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and leave to cool. Then you can slice it into 10 slices and then cut each slice in half on the diagonal.
5. To assemble your first batch of canapes, place a heaped tablespoon of salsa in the toast basket, top with a piece of succulent sliced chicken breast and top with a vibrant cilantro leaf.
Salmon and quails egg filling:
1. Dollop a small teaspoon of dill and zesty lemon mayonnaise in the base of each toast basket.
2. Top the mayo with a delicate flake of salmon and half a quails egg.
3. Sprinkle with a little black pepper and garnish with a sprig of dill, for the artistic touch.
4. Serve right away, within 15 minutes of assembling to ensure they are at their tastiest.
Serrano ham & goats cheese filling:
First we need to make the brilliant beet relish, a gut health winner:
1. Blend the beet and onion together in a food processor and set aside.
2. Heat a little olive oil in a covered frying pan and fry the mustard seeds until they’re excitable and popping.
3. Add the blended beet and onion to the pan and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Now you can chuck in the rest of the ingredients plus 0.5 cups of water to the pan and simmer away gently, uncovered for 45-60 minutes, or until the beet is soft and the liquid has reduced and thickened to a gorgeous syrupy consistency.
5. Remove the cloves, they’ve done their job now. They are loaded with phytonutrients meaning that they have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. Set the relish aside to cool.
6. Now that you’ve patiently waited for the relish to cool, you can assemble the canapes. Dollop a teaspoon of relish in the base of the baskets, top with a piece of glorious goat’s cheese, a ribbon of serrano ham and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
7. Serve and enjoy!