Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Genius Plain Bagels
2 carrots, spiralised or grated
2 courgettes, spiralised or grated
Basil leaves, shredded finely
For the avocado sauce:
1 cup parsley and coriander leaves (a mix of the two)
1 green chilli, seeds removed
Juice of 1 lime
120mls extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
For the spiced chickpeas:
These are great to add a bit of crunch to your sandwich but are also fantastic as a healthy, high fibre snack on the side. They keep for ages in an airtight container.
1x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried between layers of kitchen paper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt
½ tsp smoked paprika
A pinch cayenne
1. Let’s start with the spiced chickpeas. Mix the chickpeas with the oil and spices, spread on greaseproof paper on a baking tray and roast in the oven at 200c for 30-35 minutes until crunchy and golden brown. Your kitchen will be smelling fantastically fragrant when they are ready.
2. Using a blender, pulse all ingredients together for the avocado sauce (apart from the pistachios) until the sauce is starting to come together. Add the pistachios and pulse again until mostly smooth (a bit of texture is good in this).
3. To assemble your colourful creation, cut your gluten free bagels in half. Mix 3 to 4 spoonful of the mean green avocado sauce with your spiralised veggies and place onto each bagel.
4. For the added wow factor, finish with the crunchy chickpeas and shredded basil.
5. Now stand back and admire what you have made, and tuck in!